Welcome to the blog where women writing from prison are featured.

The ability to write, to express ourselves with words, is a gift.

Most of us write for personal reasons and never think of publication.

The business of writing is a tough one and hard to break into.

The writings you see in this blog may be a 'first publication credit' for the authors. They write using pen names.

Writing from the Inside--Pick of the Bunch:
Scroll down to the brown to read "Back to Square One," a poem by Alto Saxophone.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

First Day Back

Welcome friends and family of women writing from prison. Welcome ALL to this blog! I want you to read what your daughters, mothers, sister, aunties, cousins, nieces are writing and thinking.

Today I head back into the prison to meet with ladies living in the Faith and Character dorms. A course I teach called "Becoming a Mentor" is beginning again. When I get back home I'll post links to articles I've written about this course. It will be a whole new group this time and I'm looking forward to meeting them.

Prisoners who live in dorms where they can work on their faith (whatever it is) and character are shown to have reduced recidivism.

I'll also join the Authors Club which is meeting again today for the first time in a while. I function as a member, but also do a bit of instruction in the discipline of writing. Actually, these writers help keep me on track with my own writing. The group is very disciplined, requires accounting of work done between meetings. I'll write more later about the--at least--two women who have published books.

In fact, this blog has been inspired by these women writing from prison. I want their children to be able to read what they are writing and thinking about. By writing these women are overcoming so much. I want their children to be overcomers as well.

Link to article about how I got into prison work:  http://www.intrepidmedia.com/column.asp?id=3632

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to have started this blog. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued. I am definitely going to follow your blog.Not having learned to read until the age of 10, having a reading disability and not ever being able to spell worth a hoot,I am eternally grateful to my mentor, Mrs. Koon, who rescued me from being shut off from the world of reading and writing. She got me help and gave me the tools to go forward. I became a teacher to pay that gift she gave me forward. To be an understanding facilitator of what can be overcome. How precious you are to these women even if they won't realize it until many years to come. Proud of you, Adrienne

    ReplyDelete